Some Nigerian celebrities who were rich from childhood took a twist in their careers by deciding to go into Music and become Disk Jockey.
They were able to boost their careers and become famous despite being provided with what they needed to make a name for themselves.
- DJ Cuppy: DJ Cuppy is the daughter of Nigerian billionaire, Femi Otedola who has made a name for herself as a DJ. She began her career as a DJ at 16 in London, buying second-hand equipment and playing in clubs. In 2014, she was the resident DJ at the MTV Africa Music Awards in Durban. DJ Cuppy calls her new sound Neo-Afrobeats, a genre of music, which blends Electric House with Afro-beats and she plays across all genres, but began experimenting with music from her native hometown in Lagos,which is gradually becoming widely accepted worldwide.
- DJ Olu: Born Oluwagbemiga Abiodun to a billionaire father, Dapo Abiodun who is into Oil and Gas, DJ Olu was Davido’s official deejay.
He started off as an underground DJ in 2010 while studying for his “A” levels in England. In June 2011 he was signed as the official DJ for Davido’s HKN record label. Prior to signing with Davido, he was based in London. DJ Olu has worked with heavyweights like, Wande Coal, Wizkid, Davido, etcetera.
His three years as a part-time DJ didn’t go unnoticed as he was crowned the baddest DJ in Africa after holding down the famous nightclub, Liquid in Lagos till 7am for 4 consecutive Saturdays in 2013. He unfortunately lost his life on 7th October, 2017.
- DJ-Xclusive: Rotimi Alakija, better known as DJ Xclusive, is a Nigerian DJ and the nephew of world’s richest black woman, Folorusho Alakija.
Born in the UK but moved back to Nigeria for his High school education at King’s College, Lagos. After which he moved back to the UK for his first degree at Reading University for his first degree and later had his 2nd degree at Brunel University.
His DJ career began professionally in 2003. Whitin the same time frame, he completed a course in Music Production. Over the course of years during his career, DJ Xclusive has performed alongside acts like Ne-Yo, Rihanna, Mario Winans, Brick and Lace, Nas, and Fat Joe.
In 2011, DJ Xclusive became the resident DJ of hit radio station in Nigeria – CoolFM 96.9 and also joined Empire Mates Entertainment as Wizkid’s official DJ.
- DJ Caise: DJ Caise, born Derin Phillips is the son of Chief Mrs Teju Phillips who was the former commissioner of Lagos State. The University of Reading graduate, armed with a master’s degree in finance, abandoned his white collar job for music when he mastered the art of fusing local and international sounds into creating an eclectic mix of what he terms ‘Gidi House Music’.
He has performed across Africa and has been seen at various major shows including the MTV Africa Music Awards 2010, the SoundCity Music Video Awards 2010, Music Meets Runway 2011, Hennessy Artistry Club Tour 2011, MTV Africa All Stars Lagos and Durban, S.A 2013 and much more.
He represented Nigeria as the In-House DJ twice on Big Brother Africa Season 5 and 6, and also resides at the Beat 99.9FM Lagos, Beat 97.9FM Ibadan, Channel O Africa and Kennis Music Channel.
- DJ Big N: Nonso Temisan Ajufo better known by his stage name, DJ BIG N, is Mavin’s Official Deejay. Born and raised to a wealthy family, after moving back from the United Kingdom where he went to further his studies. He obtained an MBA degree from Coventry university in England. He also holds a Bsc degree in Psychology from the University of Lagos.
DJ Big N started his career in the UK playing local clubs in the West Midlands before guest playing at the Palms Club in Coventry as well as Guest playing at Club. His mastered deejaying skills has gotten him to perform at events with international stars such as Jarule, Ashanti, Kool And The Gang, Maxi priest, Dru Hill, Billy Ocean, Joe.